Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

Animation

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Animation

Post by Roy42 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Animation has come a long way from those doodles in the bottom corners of our workbooks during class that have us running or whatever. Now it's just about all done with computers, you'll hardly ever see actual animation, but it still has a nice feel to it, sometimes it's cartoon childish happpy funtimes, sometimes it can get serious, like, uuuuhhhh...

Well, discuss the animated scene here.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Re: Animation

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:37 am

Cool. Well i guess i'll start by mentioning my favorite cartoon showing at present is... well that's pretty obvious isn't it... Phineas and Ferb. But aside from PaF i also like a lot of 90s and some 2000s cartoons. I also like some even older ones like the 67-70 Spiderman series and the original Scooby Doo series. But my favorite cartoon besides Phineas and Ferb would be The Weekenders. Followed closely by The Simpsons and a hoarde of 90s and 2000s cartoons like Fillmore!, Recess, Pepper Ann, Bounty Hamster etc
    IamThePlatypus

Number of posts : 232
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by IamThePlatypus on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 pm

I've recently rediscovered some of my favorite cartoons growing up - most recently Disney Afternoon classics I used to love. Only the last few weeks I have become re-obsessed with Darkwing Duck, a character with such depth that I love him perhaps even more than I did when I was 5 (okay, quite obviously more). The same has happened to me watching DuckTales (woo-ooh!) because I discovered Scrooge is also far more deep than I had ever thought before - the idea of making a television show about the richest man in the world would just never happen now-a-days in a day in which the mass media tells us to despise the rich, and regard them as pompous, rude, and selfish. I've also looked back into Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers, but have had a harder time getting back into it - it's not as deep, but is still cute and somewhat exciting, it's a little more light and flaky than DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

My other favorite cartoons are the ones from my upper elementary and middle school years, shows like The Weekenders and Recess, I was obsessed in middle school with a show that was on screen VERY briefly called Fillmore! which was absolutely amazing, sort of a middle school version of Law&Order or CSI, which was just really cool - again, deep characters with a shrouded past that only revealed itself a little bit at a time - too deep for a Disney show which is likely why it found itself canceled after two seasons. There were a few other good cartoons I watched around this time (lesser known shows like the ever-controversial Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce, Go!) and a few anime-style shows like Teen Titans, but I was never quite as much into the latter.

Anyway, cartoons are pretty much my favorite thing ever, I just wish we had more clever and actually entertaining television shows today instead of a lot of the obnoxious crap on. I love finding a gem of a show like Phineas and Ferb that I can latch onto, and I hope this one stays alive for quite some time (maybe it will even inspire other cartoons to become thus entertainig). XD
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Ah, Filmore, now that I never get tired of, though now I can only sometimes see it in between 10 p.m and 6 a.m, when it kinda doesn't even matter what you put on TV but anyway.

Most of those sentiments about the old "actual" cartoons I have to agree with, though I've never seen Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce, Go! and did love Teen Titans a lot more.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 am

I loved Weekenders, Fillmore! and Recess... Darkwing Duck i only started watching last year (i've still only seen one episode, the first one). It's allright and i can see why people like it, but The Weekenders, Fillmore!, Kim Possible, and other early 2000s and late 90s cartoons will always be those i love more than any other. When i was a young kid in the 90s i was only allowed to watch a few cartoons but those happened to be good ones like Hey Arnold! and Stickin' Around. I've seen Super Monkey Robot Team Hyper Force Go!. I didn't LOVE it but i enjoyed it. Never seen teen titans or ducktales. I'd agree Phineas and Ferb harks back to quality cartoons.
    phineasavatar1

Number of posts : 126
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by phineasavatar1 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 am

Most of my favorite cartoons are from the 90s. Those include Filmore!, Recess, Animaniacs!, Tiny Toons, Pinky & the Brain, BTAS, Batman Beyond, etc.

I LOVE anime, it's just the best. My favorites of it are Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto.

Of current cartoons, my favorite was Avatar, but they canceled it, and now PaF is!!!!! I enjoy the bright, unique style of it. Some other current toons I like are Fosters, The Spectacular Spider-Man, and Total Drama Island, but about every other one kinda sucks. Shows now canceled from 2000 I loved were JLU(!!), Avatar(!!), Lloyed in Space(!!), the WEEKENDERS!!!, and Dave the Barbarian.
    IamThePlatypus

Post by IamThePlatypus on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 am

Wow, I totally didn't think anybody else watched Fillmore! It seemed like it went totally under the radar!

Omg I cannot believe I forgot about Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, and Tiny Toons - talk about your shows that are full of clever jokes and references. I've been renting Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs on DVD, and I cannot believe how many pop culture references there are! I love it! The political commentaries and obvious celebrity imitations are HILARIOUS!!!
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Yep, those are the things that I love about those Spielberg cartoons. They were cartoons ahead of their time, and some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen!

As for Filmore!, how could I not have seen it? It was one of Disney's best.

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 am

Yes i liked Fillmore! It is a worthy cartoon... one of the best of Disney's as you so rightly stated. But it was produced from 2002 to 2004 i believe... or thereabouts, and not in the 90s. Which is one of the reasons i like it, like PaF, it is a warrior battling for normalcy amidst weirdness (yes my analogies apparently now stink, Roy and Neerav... that's called insanity due to being homeschooled) As to The Weekenders i believe it was produced from 2000 to 2002 (though it says correctly it's original run was to 04 as some episodes hadn't been shown yet) and it is another of my favorite cartoons of all time. Fillmore! is also one of them. Some people at Fillmore! boards seem to think it's lack of appeal comes from it being targetted to fans of 70s cop shows but i doubt a Disney cartoon about twelve year old kids in the 2000s would be targetted to an adult demographic. I loved everything about that show from the theme music to Ingrid (quite a beautiful and upstanding girl) and to the cool style of animation. I also liked the crazy yet somehow believable plots.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:14 am

Yeah, it was a really outstanding show. Unique, too. I liked how even though this show was about 12 safety patrolmen, it had a solid and interesting, running plot. It was serious, while you knew this whole seriousness still was too ridiculous to not laugh.

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 pm

hmm... i kind of liked the seriousness... didn't find it funny myself. actually what i hated was how the grown up characters always seemed to put themselves above the kids even when the kids were doing a good job. But i also like the whole idea of a safety patrol of kids because in an adult show like law and order of course it's taken too serious, and by serious i mean way too seriously.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:05 am

Yeah, agreed.
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by tiggertine on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 am

Oh, I love all sorts of nineties cartoons....classic Nickelodeon was the best. Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Cow and Chicken, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers.....I'm going to stop now, because this is just going to end up being an entire list of every cartoon aired in the nineties on that channel.
    IamThePlatypus

Post by IamThePlatypus on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 am

I unfortunately missed out on most of the Nickelodeon cartoons, not having cable until the seventh grade. I grew up on PBS, ABC (1 Saturday Morning), and KidsWB. I have heard there were some pretty epic cartoons on Nick, though.

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:10 pm

I didn't have cable and my mother only allowed me to watch a few shows like Hey Arnold! but in the early part of this decade (2001-2004) i watched some on free tv reruns and i've seen some classic nick cartoons like doug on youtube. i first saw doug whilst on holiday in america in 99-2000. i saw pepper ann around 2001... But most cartoons i've seen are from 97-08 era although having seen earlier ones from the 90s like Doug online i have to admit they are way better than most stuff now.
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Yeah, Nick cartoons were pretty epic....but during their run, I was too young to appreciate how brilliant they really were, sadly.

Classic Cartoon Network was also great...gosh, I used to love Powerpuff Girls. xD

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:17 pm

Yeah. Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Grim and Evil- all of these i saw along with others like Ed Edd n Eddy around 01-03. I liked those CN shows. I vaguely remember PPgirls
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:02 am

Grim and Evil was great, Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy was just funny, but felt like an overload.

By the classic CN shows, I remember the 8, I believe it is, original Cartoon Cartoons:

Courage
    Johnny Bravo
    PPG
    Dexter's Lab
    Ed, Edd and Eddy
    Mike, Lu and Og
    Cow and Chicken
    I am Weasel

They were basically the foundation for everything that is Cartoon Network, apart from the Chuck Jones creations which are everything good cartoons are based on.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 am

Ah, yes; the Cartoon Cartoons. They have all been canceled, and replaced with retarded shows such as "Out of Jimmy's Head" and "Flapjack."

I as well remember some later CCs, KND and Billy & Mandy, both canceled but were awesome.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 am

But those other two "Cartoon Cartoons" still had good concepts and went for a long time anyway.

I just don't like calling those shows Cartoon Cartoons, as far as I'm concerned, those 8 are the only real ones.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:27 am

Hehe, I actually like Flapjack, but yeah, gotta miss the classics. And Out of Jimmy's Head! A live-action show! On Cartoon Network! Life...life doesn't make sense anymore.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:06 am

And the worst part of it: even after they canceled Out of (yes!!!) they're now bringing another live action show!!! A reality show, of all things!

I mean, isn't TDI awesome enough for them?! That show was funny, this'll be lame.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:21 am

I like TDI... but REAL reality tv... uggh

I've never seen OOJ Head but i've seen HM and TSRaven... i think Disney and Nick ought to focus more on creating good 90s style cartoons
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:43 am

I agree completely!!

If only they'd think for a sec....Avatar was awesome, though.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:23 am

Well let's remember, this isn't the place to be bashing live action or talking about it in detail anyway.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:46 pm