Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

Anime

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Anime

Post by Roy42 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:35 am

Anime is Japan's brand of animation, a distinct style of art and stories that usually require more than a handful of flow charts to easily comprehend. Shows like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and many many others are a part of this wider genre.

Talk about Japan's collective magnum opus here.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Re: Anime

Post by tiggertine on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:37 am

One word.

Hetalia.

...Anyone else a fan of it here?
    phineasavatar1

Number of posts : 126
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by phineasavatar1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:38 am

Actually, no, I haven't. What's it about?

I myself am a HUGE fan of Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and Naruto. Other animes I used to watch or barely follow but still like are Ghost in a Shell and Gundam.

I tried getting into Death Note and Inuyasha, but I just couldn't take it - they weren't my taste. I'm considering giving them a try again, though. If anyone here's seen them, do tell if you think they're worth it.

Oh, and of course, I have to do this:
    IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strangely, I've never seen any of the DB shows, but I just might.... lol!
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449

Post by eeemeee on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:37 am

I hope Tiggertine doesn't mind if I explain Hetalia for ya. I'm in a bit of a Hetalia fangirl mood right now. 8D

Basically, what Hetalia is is this brilliant series in which they've taken different countries and anthropomorphized them-- turned them into humans. And they use these anthropomorphized countries to explain different historical events: World War II, in the main arc; various wars, various historical events, and things like cultural differences and international relations.

It sounds boring, but it so isn't. It's hilarious. And amazing. And awesome. And it teaches you a ton of stuff-- like, do you know what Sealand is? Or that Seychelles even exists? Or why beef is called beef and not cow?

AMAZING. I have Tig to thank for introducing me to its epicness.

Anyways, it's actually a webcomic/manga that they've made an anime out of. You can read translated versions of the manga here:

http://sites.google.com/site/hetaliaindexes/main-storyline-index

For the anime version, you just to go Veoh and type "hetalia 1" or whatever episode you want. But I'd read the manga first. The anime is only subtitled in English, and I at least find it hard to keep up even having read it. But maybe I'm just slow. Razz
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Honestly? I was waiting for you to answer that question in all your fangirlish glee. xD Goodness knows I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

I like Death Note, but I can understand it not being your taste; it's very srs bsns-y. Though who can't crack a smile at Light getting all dramatic over the most basic of tasks? "I'll take a potato chip...AND EAT IT."

Yotsuba&! is also a really cute series, and I've just gotten into Suzumiya Haruhi...heh.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Ah, okay, that show does seem hilarious.

And, to tig, I understand it's probably fantastic, I just can't get into it for some odd reason. Question

I've never seen those two series. I saw a brief marathon of "School Rumble." Honest opinion - weirdest anime I've ever seen. It was hard to really understand - it kind of reminded me of Kids Next Door as the school they go to has an almost real world school government and student council. The main character meets a boy who turns out to be an alien with powers, and he eventually finds out the members of the school government have alien powers too! It's crazy flingdunkle, I'll tell you that Wink
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:03 am

Haha, the premise of Haruhi Suzumiya seems a bit similar to that School Rumble series. Humanoid creatures....always fun!
    IamThePlatypus

Number of posts : 232
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by IamThePlatypus on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:23 am

I'm not into very many big Animes, never watched an episode of Naruto or Inuyasha in my life, in fact I'm not really a big Anime fan, but my brother often directs me towards an Anime, and I will often fall in love with it.

The best ones I've ever watched were:
    *Macross Frontier
    *Code Geass (I watched subs, but Cartoon Network had the dubbed version on this past year)

I've also watched:
    *Last Exile
    *The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    *Full Metal Panic

And have enjoyed each and every one. Smile They're lesser-known I believe.

Code Geass I just finished last week and would definitely recommend to ANYONE. It honestly has the best series finale I have ever seen in my life - anime or live action, or cartoon. But the rest of the series is equally amazing. Deep (and sexy) characters, an amazingly intricate plot, and cliffhangers that will have you coming back every time.

BigNeerav

Number of posts : 699
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Post by BigNeerav on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:29 pm

I mean, I don't mind a good anime picture, if both the characters and the plot is good. I might actually be able to sit through it without puking all over the place or falling asleep during teh show. But for the most part, I am biased towards American animation over Japaneese anime anyday.
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 pm

Hehe, I might just have to check out Code Geass as well. 8D

I tried to get into Naruto and Inuyasha, but in truth it's the rabid fanbase that keeps turning me away from them, you can't even mention Naruto on an anime forum without starting a raging debate. :C Sad, sad.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:22 am

Anyone seen Fullmetal Alchemist? Yeah, well, it's amazing!!! The action, the drama, the humor, it's just amazing. All the anime has been dubbed and is on Adult Swim if you wanna see it, as well as the Manga being dubbed and published. There's a second one out but I'm not sure about it, it's only in Japanese with subs and it's a retelling, which I generally hate Sad But, seriously, an amazing anime, one of the best.
    IamThePlatypus

Post by IamThePlatypus on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:04 am

tiggertine wrote:Hehe, I might just have to check out Code Geass as well. 8D

Dooooooo it. You will not be disappointed.

I have heard FMA is good, but have never gotten into it myself. I watched a few episodes on adult swim, but never enough to know what was going on. I know it's got a pretty big fanbase too, though.
    phineasavatar1

Post by phineasavatar1 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Funny thing you should say that, the first episode I ever watched was a flashback that explained everything you need to know about the show, so I got into it pretty quickly, lol. Wink
    IamThePlatypus

Post by IamThePlatypus on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 am

I'm on episode 10/13 of a show called "Avenger." So far it's dark and intricate, but to be honest the characters are kind of blah and the plot moves at sort of a snail-pace. Maybe the last few episodes will be really good though.
    Helouise

Number of posts : 35
    Registration date : 2009-08-03

Post by Helouise on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:13 pm

I used to be an an anime-fan at the age 8 - 15, but then realized how reduntant and generic the animation and art is... I don't get an y creative satisfaction from it. Though, I've followed Bleach since it was first translated online (which was what? 5 years ago or something), and I still follow it. The Bleach anime is an abomination, though
    IamThePlatypus

Post by IamThePlatypus on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 am

The art may be very similar, but what I love about Anime is how deep and intricate the plots are - so much more than most shows (especially animated ones) here in the states. The closest you can really come here as far as depth of plot goes is something uber-dramatic and soap-opera-ish, and I so don't do drama, but I love deep plots and complicated relationships. I haven't tired of the animation perhaps because I haven't seen dozens of different animes, right now I still think they're quite beautiful, and particular ones (Macross Frontier, Last Exile) simple dazzle me with the beauty and complexity of the style.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:01 am