Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

The Holiday Season

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

The Holiday Season

Post by Roy42 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Okay, I just want to start this thread because of what happened at my standard Christmas obligation of going to meet with the rest of my family — and including all aunts, uncles, cousins, and everyone that had a boyfriend or girlfriend coming with them, that's a very large family — this afternoon.

First of all, since my brothers both have girlfriends that have the same first letter in their name (though one of them had to have their name abbreviated for it to work) as does one of my cousins, I have to find a girl whose name starts with an R. My already limited choices of females due to a large portion of them being a league or 5 ahead of me is cut down to just the Rs now. What in the hell?!

I don't even know why I go to these things anymore. I'm past my childhood, so everyone in the family stops giving me lots of awesome presents, and now I just get the exact same template from my grandparents(not that I don't love 'em for it): One shirt that I will wear once before the year ends and forget about, deodorant, some form of chocolates or sweet tooth appeasing food, and a little box-thing that has three 'classy' items in it that usually vary, although they always have a pen in the three.

That was actually the best thing about going, besides the phenomenal food that even beats the food served at the restaurant my brother works at; I was in need of a new watch, which is good that I got a watch in the box of items, along with the pen and a wallet, which was also something I had been planning to replace, as my previous wallet didn't have nearly enough card slots.

I'm NOT a hand model

It's pretty boring on the outside, but I had already put my license and cards inside it,
    and taking them out would be too much of a hassle.

The worst part about this time, though, was that while I was helping my brother make the profiterole tower — if you don't know how it's done, Google; Wikipedia;5 minutes later — the smallest bit of caramel got dripped onto my left index finger and inner knuckle of my thumb. Only was there for a split second, but DAMN that stuff burns hotter than lava! That happened about 10 minutes after I turned up, and I spent the rest of my time there not being able to do much besides hand out presents, because one hand was holding onto ice cold cans of soft drink and cramping up. 5 hours later, I was finally able to take the bandage off of it and have it only hurt minimally.

Soaking in water really helps amplify the 'eugh!' factor, in my opinion.

One of my brothers bought himself an iPod Touch as everyone's gift to him, while my other brother got something with his own money intended as a "You bought this for me" gift, however in that case, I actually was able to get him something: A $70 Remote-Controlled helicopter;

also I'm gonna help him find the best deal on an Xbox360 on Boxing Day that he's going thirds in with his housemates, plus I have over 10GB of TV shows and movies to give him at some point. I totally won this Christmas. As for what I'll be getting from them — which is to say "Buying for myself and letting them take credit for it — I've got a limited edition pressing of a Voltaire CD, a Voltaire brass finish belt buckle, and I'm gonna be getting myself a $100 ocarina.

Now I just have to hang out with my Dad for a few hours this coming week as he starts moving stuff over to the house he bought at the coast, and my family duties are fulfilled for yet another year, and I can go back to just sitting catatonic for two months before I start the hardest four years of my life. I don't know if I hate the holiday season, or if it occurs during Summer here where it averages at 35C (that's 95F, for you Yanks), or if I'm still not that fond of people, and whenever I go out, everyone else is less intelligent than me.

So, what's happened to you so far this holiday season? What do you celebrate? Do you believe in celebrating it? Are you being religious in celebrating it, or materialistic? Did you get what you want yet? Have you snuck a peek at what you're getting? Do you care at all? Share everything about the holidays here, if only to ensure activity outside of the Fan Creations and Games forums for a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also got a 150g box (a couple of hundred of them) of jelly beans from one of my aunts that recently had an operation for a rare type of cancer (think it was in the ovaries, or somewhere in that area). Not just the regular, cheap-ass ones, though, I mean gourmet jelly beans, the ones that actually taste according to the colour, and have as messed up flavours as "Toasted Marshmallow," "Chocolate Pudding" and "Buttered Popcorn." The last one tasted horrible as a Skittle, and a more chewy format has not improved the flavour one iota.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    ChatterBox

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

Re: The Holiday Season

Post by ChatterBox on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Ooh,so was this where you had to go when you briefly visited Frag, CV, and I in the chatbox? Anyhow, I lurrrve the watch. And girls' who names only start with 'R'... LaughingCheese, what do you think?

And yow-ith! Hot caramel on finger cannot be any good! What did I tell you about being careful!?

Now, for you'z questions:

Nothing has really happened to me so far this holiday season. Two day Out of School Suspension for saying that I may not be able to get all my work done and a project completed in two hours (ridiculous, no?) so I pretty much missed out on any holiday-related activity. And I live just with my mom, so it's quite the dry season.

I celebrate Christmas, though my mother celebrates it more so on the religious factor, I celebrate more for the materialist part.

To be quite honest, neither of us (my mom and I) have gone shopping for each other yet and there's nothing under the tree except my overly fat kitteh, Highchair. I have not managed to "sneak a peek" yet because there's nothing to look at Razz And don't know if I care or not, really. I pretty much asked for a whole library of murder/serial killer related books or pretty much anything horror but of course I can find all those things in the library that I so conviently live near by to (pfft, EVERYONE lives near the library and this teeny little town).
    Crowfeather

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-07-06

Post by Crowfeather on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Ahhh... hot caramel... that's not a pretty sight. Shocked

Nothing's happening so far yet for my holiday season. Although my grandparents are coming from Michigan on Tuesday, that's about all so far until Christmas. No idea what I'm getting really. Dad keeps on preassuring me asking "What do you want?! What do you want?!" He just wants to get me something that Mom wouldn't really aprove of getting it herself. Like when I got my Nintendo DS, Dad got it for me cuz Mom wouldn't.

I don't have to worry about my fat cat being under the Christmas tree anymore like he has been doing for 11 years. He's not anymore, cuz well, he's dead. Crying or Very sad But he used to always sleep under the tree. Now that he's gone, I'm sure Patches will do the same this year, once she's done getting used to the new furniture.
    Livyrosebud

Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by Livyrosebud on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Once again, ouch with the caramel thing. That looked like it hurt.

I haven't done much for the holiday season yet either. Our winter vacation doesn't even start until Christmas Eve. I don't have a clue what I'm getting for Christmas. I told anyone who asked me what I wanted to get me whatever they think I'd like. I did find out that my grandparents might be getting me an iPod touch, although they didn't exactly try to keep it a secret....and I know for a fact that all of my presents from my parents and 'Santa' are in our back room, although so far I've been a good girl and not looked. But it is sooooo very tempting...
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456

Post by tiggertine on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Aww! I'm sorry about your cat. D: May he romp happily around in the catnip garden in the sky.

On that note...

(Yes that's my cat, he'll be really mad that I posted pictures of him online but there you are. Part of it's cut off haha.)

No big plans for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Festivus/Eid/winter solstice; Florida's devoid of cold weather as always so we don't get to do the fun winter wonderland-y things people write songs about. But this season they sell peppermint mochas and other yummy winter things in Starbucks, so that's always fun. Razz

Remarkably, I can't think of anything I want in particular for the holidays. I'm strongly considering just having my parents donate money to charity in my name this year, or something. Spreading the cheer, and all!

Also, hope you guys all have splendid winter breaks. Very Happy
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:31 am

ChatterBox wrote:Ooh,so was this where you had to go when you briefly visited Frag, CV, and I in the chatbox? Anyhow, I lurrrve the watch. And girls' who names only start with 'R'... LaughingCheese, what do you think?

Age differences beyond 2 years are viewed as weird if one of the individuals is under 20.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    ChimneyVator

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by ChimneyVator on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Yes, I celebrate Christmas. What's the point of buying gifts and decorating the house if not to celebrate Jesus's birth?

[/preaching]

My sisters, however practice it for purely materialistic purposes; Black Friday is bigger than Christmas itself in my family. In order to celebrate, I have returned from school, turned on my laptop, connected to our home network, and never left. Well, I've played hopscotch between my parent's houses, at least. Unforutnately, I will not be at a Chrstmas Eve service since my church, like school, is four hours away .

Present-wise, I already know what's under the tree at my sister's house since I was there when she bought it at 3:00 in the morning and tried it on in the store.
    ChatterBox

Post by ChatterBox on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:47 pm

My mom has already bought three of the books I'm obsessed with and has finally now filled SOME space under the tree. But even after he clever idea of double-wrapping them, I have still managed to find out what they are (Ha, and she bought me this llama stuffed animal for some reason of which is beyond me). But back to the books, this is why you never buy a someone who is obsessed with a book to the point of being able to locate 'most any scene someone desires without much thought to it. Not only that but after and attempt to carry them off to my nightstand and having that easily terminated, my mother is going to the extant of not putting anything else out until Christmas Razz

And Tiggertine: Oooh, so Tigger finally makes that long awaited appearance! And of course, Starbucks is always nice. Sadly, they changed their cookie recipe and only to be discovered by me who was ordering the cookie to go with my utterly delicious latte. It tastes like barf! *Sigh* At least their drinks are good!

Mwahaha, loved your mini-sermon, CV!! My mom would love you; she's a preacher! Very Happy
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Awww, what a cute little kitty! I'll call him Mr. Fluffy Pants! Because he's fluffy and looks like he's wearing pants! And reminds me of Doofenshmirtz's Uncle Fluffy Pants!

Mom did the worst job of trying to hide some of the presents. Guess where they were. In the guest room, by the bed, under a towel. That's worse then hiding them in the closet. But, at least I figured out 3 of my presents! Sharpened colored pencils (needed them badly), a carton of tons of skinny markers (wanted them for a long time), and a portfolio for my PaF art! Eeep! I'm happy now! And she got Dad a chainsaw. I wouldn't exactly trust him with that...
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456

Post by tiggertine on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 am

ChatterBox wrote:My mom would love you; she's a preacher! Very Happy
    Says the self-confessed cartoon zoophilia erotica lover. xD I'm assuming she doesn't know too much about that, though.

Oh, and for the secret Santa thing at my school I got a fitness DVD, a Barbie doll book (with matching diary!) and body glitter.....yeah.
    KLCI

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2009-11-14

Post by KLCI on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 pm

Another celebrator of Christmas here. It's a pretty big holiday in my family, so it tends to be a pretty big deal for us. Unfortunately, it has lost some of it's magic over the past few years for me and my family due to my mother and father splitting up and my sister and I starting to go our own ways, but we still treasure the time we do have together.

The big central idea of celebrating Christmas to me these days is spending time with my family. I spend Christmas eve with my mother's side of the family and Christmas day with my father's side, so it works out pretty nicely. I am a Christian as well, so I do take a little time to appreciate the religious aspects of the holiday too.

As for what I'm getting, I don't know for complete sure. However, I am almost positive that I'm getting a new cell phone from my father, which will probably be a smart phone, so that will be cool.

Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate it and to those of you who don't, have an enjoyable holiday season.
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:46 am

We finally got all the presents under the tree. But I must ask you guys something, have you ever wrapped a chainsaw for your dad's Christmas present before? It looks pitiful. It's just like a box with a long thing sticking out of it. That's why we put that end near the wall so he won't see it.
    Dr. Coconut

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2009-08-06

Post by Dr. Coconut on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 am

I spent a very long time typing up my holiday horrors but I was like nobody wants me complaining about this & that. Its the holidays! It should be fun so instead of spending 2 hours complaining I shall spend 20 minutes saying what has been going well. As you can tell things are not going well.

Before I start I do have to say nice watch Roy! Alright so I have been VERY busy pretty much the entire month of December. I donated most of my money to holiday sharing at school. I did that after my Christmas shopping & I got all of that done the end of November & the beginning of December. I wanted to get a head start on that. Well I did not get the Christmas shopping done for my friends & with 5 dollars left I had no idea what I was going to do. I could have gone to the dollar store but really I'm not that mean. My mom was helping me throw a small Christmas/new year's party so I decided to use that to my advantage. Since theres only 6 of us only about 3 are my closer friends I thought why not do a secret Santa? There's enough of us that they will not find out who sent what. Hopefully that will be the case. We were going to choose eachother's names out of a hat tomorrow then exchange gifts at my party. That way I could spend $5 on 1 gift. Now I think that was a stupid idea because I now know how I could get gifts for all of them without spending a dime! Like Doofenshmirtz I have a lot of felt. I mean A LOT! Some of it has been sitting in our bonus room for years! Recently I have been online seeing if there was a site where you can make your own bango ru doll & when I could not find 1 I decided to make my own at home. I looked up on how to make a doll online then I found out how to make a cat plushie! It was in some video I forgot where it was. It was not youtube I know that for sure. Well anyway I thought I could use this to make a plushie for each of my friends but then again all of them know that we are doing a secret Santa. Well good news is I only have to make 1 & I already did. Bad news is we don't find out who we get to gift until tomorrow. There are cat people dog people even penguin people in our group! I made a cat already. I hope I get a cat person lol. I'm sorry I can't remember the video for those of you that want to make their own Doofenshmirtz plushie. Or for anyone that wants to make a plush model of Doofania uh I don't think I can find a video showing how to. I have been trying to do everything possible to celebrate Christmas. I even changed my avatar! Its a siting of Santa here in the great pacific north west. I thought it fits me because thats where I live. I was almost tempted to write he's bigfoot on it. Or something from Get That Bigfoot Outta My Face. I think I might keep this 1 after Christmas because I love it a lot. Wow theres so much more I have to say but I think I have bored you enough lol. I did not know how great this year was going. Still I don't think it will beat last year. Last year was horrible & yet it was great. It started out aweful but when Christmas eve came it got so much better! My mom had to work on Christmas being a nurse she has to work on holidays a lot. We celebrated on Christmas eve & because it was so icey most of my gifts had not even arrived yet. Most of them were iou's. My mom orders a lot of her gifts online. One thing that she ordered online that actually made it here in time was the best present out of all of them. It was Perry! He made that Cristmas 1 of the bests. Ok now I'm done.
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 am

This is bad, but I know half of the things I'm getting for Christmas. How? I was bad girl this year... I even used some of the markers that were under the towel today. And then a package came from my uncle in Nevada and I was the only 1 home so I opened it. I'm getting a drawing pad for the computer! No more using a mouse and Paint anymore! Then I was looking under the tree for presents that had only my name on it since Mom and I share some, and I found a small, deformed, squishy present. (This is after midnight so nobody was awake) I took it to my room, opened it a little, and I'M GETTING A PERRY THE PLATYPUS PLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeeeep!
    Dr. Coconut

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2009-08-06

Post by Dr. Coconut on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:30 am

Thats awesome! I remember last Christmas when I was so sad that most of my presents were iou's then when I opened the present with the Perry plush in it I screamed so loud my neighbors heard me! I felt like the happiest person on the planet at that moment! I had to wait until Christmas eve to find out I got 1 but I was so happy when I opened it. I can't wait until Christmas this year!
    ChatterBox

Post by ChatterBox on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Because I'm an obsessor and because I found her wrapping a llama thing for me, I pretty much know what all I'm getting. she's doubble wrapped a second book but I think I know what it already is ('Thr3e').

I asked for a Perry the Platypus Plushie this year (because who doesn't want one?), she told me that she looked everywhere for one and couldn't find it anywhere (I live in a very rural part of Kansas and there's not many sruff like that around here to buy).

CrowFeather! What are you thinking!? And yes, Dr. Coconut, that avatar is amazing and thanks for the wonderful idea to make my own Doofania plush model, I'll put it to good use Razz
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Well, I'm just sneaky this year! I tried to find the wide tape they use to close packages, and I couldn't find it, so I just used the regular tape. Luckily she didn't notice. Then when I went into the kitchen later that night, the wide tape was on the counter. Where did they find it?!
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449

Post by eeemeee on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:01 am

Gasp! eeemeee's still alive!

That's right, sorry to disappoint. Razz I've been busy, but I missed you guys.

So, without further ado... Merry Christmas everyone!
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:30 am

It's currently 4:05 p.m and Christmas has been going fairly okay so far; gift cards, regular cards, the "Them Crooked Vultures" CD that I am adding to a special playlist in iTunes (the 'creme de la creme' one), DVD of "The Catherine Tate Show," a new backpack that I've also been meaning to replace (seriously, nearly everything I was going to renew has been taken care of in this one week) and, uh, what was the other thing I was given…

Oh, that's right; key to a new car. Wasn't intending to replace my current one for a good while, but I have no complaints.

I should clarify my distaste for all human beings and social interactions: If someone's bearing gifts that I don't deserve but still want, I can be friendly all day until I can't eat anymore lamb/chicken/turkey/ham/steak/what-have-you. Other than that, though, I really have an affinity for not leaving the haven that is my combined study, bedroom, dojo, karaoke bar, gaming paradise, movie theatre and creative studio.

So long as there are still material possessions to be gained, I won't completely hate Christmas. Yes, I do acknowledge and respect the family together time, spirit of giving, birth of Jesus, etcetera etcetera, but since society at large barely does acknowledge and associate those values with Christmas, I hardly see the point in doing so beyond going to Midnight Mass.

Now it's currently 4:30 p.m, and I'm off to the fourth Christmas get together of this year; the second with all my relatives. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, we had a lucky break by getting th entire day rained out. It's nice and cool, no sweltering heat for what will likely be either this one day or one week, and it encourages even more the best feeling in the world you get by sitting, soaked by the rain and wrapped in a towel, in front of a fire, holding a cup of hot chocolate. Cliché, yes, but everyone has got to have experienced that at least once, and would know that it's quite a unique feeling.

EDIT: Oh yeah, nageM being not dead too; that's cool. Welcome back after your long and currently unexplained absence, on the exact day that I would proclaim it a Christmas miracle, if it weren't for the rain making me unsure of how many miracles Christmas can get away with all at once.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    TheFraggable74

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2009-09-22

Post by TheFraggable74 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:00 am

Well, without further ado...
    And I don't care if he doesn't have a Santa hat, I couldn't get a decent one on him.

Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh, that's adorable! I'm sure all of the PaF Community is as honored as me when you made that! Perry Christmas to all, and to all a good afternoon in about an hour!

Lovin' my Perry!
    DjangoKatie

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2009-08-05

Post by DjangoKatie on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:46 pm

Over here, the weather's been completely dreadful this week. About 6-7 inches of snow fell and today (Xmas Day) was the first clear day we actually had. Recently heard that some of the states over there were being declared emergency states. Is this affecting any of you on your side?
    ChatterBox

Post by ChatterBox on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:12 am

Eh, here in Kansas we just got about five inches here but it's started snowing fast and Phineas again, so... aah, whatever. We don't have too incredibly bad weather. Our pipes aren't frozen and we have heat, that's what matters Razz

I think the emergency states are the ones on the east coast, correct me if I'm wrong. It's, like, my first white Christmas since I was five.

Anyhow, seven inches? SHOW ME PICTURES. No, you don't, really but I always like pictures of the snow piled up against sliding glass doors for some reason. And Crowfeather, sadly, we don't have any incredibly awesome icicles... yet.

I hope every had a merry, joy-filled Chistmas or whatever holdiay y'all celebrate! Very Happy
    ChimneyVator

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by ChimneyVator on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:20 am

Can you hand over some of that winter action? Here in Indiana we've had nothing but cold, blustery rain. And yes, most of the emergencies have been on the east coast (and Oklahoma, where there was this insane 20 car pile-up on the interstate.)
    DjangoKatie

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2009-08-05

Post by DjangoKatie on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:40 am

You saw that too?? Was that the 35 that was turned into a parking lot by the weather and that jacknifed 18 wheeler in Oklahoma City?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:56 pm