Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

FanFiction

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

FanFiction

Post by Roy42 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:18 am

This is the forum to discuss all PaF fanfiction in general. Here's some links to get going with.

Phineas and Ferb Fanfiction

Create a FanFiction.Net Account.

What are your favorite fanfictions?

Do you have any you want to share?

Is there a fanfiction so terrible it eats at you?

Discuss all those questions here.

Last edited by Roy42 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Regards,

≈Roy42

BigNeerav

Number of posts : 699

Re: FanFiction

Post by BigNeerav on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 am

I like many of the fanfictions that are on fanfiction.net......."A Fight To Live" was my favorite, as well as the ones written by Roy and other members of the tv.com forum. I have been too lazy to work on my own fanfiction, but will "hopefully" get around to it.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 pm

As many people on this forum might already know, when I give a review of a story, it's going to be long, scathing, but most of all, absolutely honest with no sugar coating at all, making them the greatest and most helpful reviews of all. I mean, I'm a critic about these stories, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I have the right to be a critic.

It seems that the author "Dana Welch" on Fanfiction.net doesn't understand the nature of reviews and critics, however. (From hereon out, I'm assuming it's a girl)

After I gave a review of her story "The Christmas Chaos", she decided to be a whiny little bitch about things and not only republish her story to get rid of my review, but also actually sent me a PM regarding the subject, in a nutshell it was the basic crap about "don't appreciate you bashing my story" blah blah blah Derpy, but saying that constructive criticism is fine.

Now, am I missing something (no, I'm not) or does saying what a person shouldn't do anymore in their writings not good enough to be defined as constructive criticism? While Dana doesn't appreciate the bashing that I didn't do, I don't appreciate when I release great works and they're covered in piles of flaming puke within a week. That doesn't mean that'll stop though, and neither shall I.

Lastly, there's the comment that she made that said something to the defect of "But I'll ignore it because I know I'm a great writer…" not only is that being too vain for her 3 bad stories to support her, but that's absolutely hypocritical, she says she doesn't care, but that holds about as much weight as when a person registers to a gaming forum for the company they hate and start bashing it, ending their tirade with the same phrase "I don't even care".

So I guess what I'm trying to convey is the question: Has the time come when people can upchuck on a typewriter, call it a great PaF story, put it online and not be able to handle themselves when they get their head slammed into the concrete and told the truth that needs to be told?

I greatly miss the days of the stories that I actually somewhat didn't hate, the ones that exceeded all expectations on my part by being not my writings, yet still slightly good, namely, "Engaging Nightmare", "Burning Love" and the other ones that knew that a chapter doesn't last for 100-200 words.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    eeemeee

Number of posts : 449
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by eeemeee on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 am

Y'know, Fanfiction.net isn't necessarily the best place to find good writing. Due to the nature of the place, there are going to be those young, rabid tween types who'll instantly accuse you of bashing or flaming if you don't like their work. Besides, they all think they're such amazing writers because they can take someone else's characters and story and write about it; one look in the forums, and you can see how knowledgeable they believe they are. They constant obsess over "this is a Mary Sue, that's a Mary Sue, OMG this is OCC, is this canon, is that canon...." It never ends. When you think about it, these people are probably, how old? All they're honestly doing is playing writer, like they played dress-up and house when they were five.

Quite frankly, the behavior of the general population annoys me to no end. It's almost worth not bothering, and simply posting fanfiction as a post over here instead of having to bother with them.
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456

Post by tiggertine on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:35 am

Fanfiction.net......scares me. Which is why I've kind of forgotten about my account there and not posted anything. xD; And I'm not even going to try and write anything, because I know it's going to suck anyway and I'm terribly unoriginal. But if you guys write or find any nice gems, feel free to post 'em here for me to look at..... 8D

Hatchling

Number of posts : 16

Post by Hatchling on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:39 am

Sadly, it's not up to just one person to determine whether something is good or not. It's mostly determined by either the majority or the elite, like for example Twilight. It's popular for reasons I cannot understand because I've only read the first book, and in my opinion, it's not like OMG TEH BEST THING EVA!!1 but still, people think it's good. :/
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 am

Hm, well, I'm in the minority of preteen girls that don't like Twilight. I think it's because a large part of its appeal comes from its romantic plot and darkness and whatnot, and I've never really been into that kind of thing. Plus, vampires in my book are ones like Dracula and Nosferatu, not sparkling, perfect teenagers.....off-topic, off-topic.

But, that would actually be a good idea....posting fanfictions in here, I mean. Kind of like a PaF community exclusive kind of thing? At least we can trust the people in here to not act like kindergarteners when reviewing and writing stories.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:20 am

I think………I'm going to have to say no to that idea for now, but I'll see what I can do to figure it out. Don't forget, we did manage to bring one story down with our negativity, we just have to be negative enough and they might cave.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    eeemeee

Post by eeemeee on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:26 am

Yeah, that's how they do it on this other forum (yup, that same mysterious one I'm on that's not PaF related in the slightest.) They start a thread for each new multi-chapter story; each chapter is a separate post. And there's a thread for short stories, or "oneshots", that everybody can use.

There are pros and cons to this, the con being that not as many people read your work, the pro being that, as Tiggertine said, we don't have to put up with the immature people.

EDIT: Oh, saw your post Roy. Only problem with being negative is that you will get an (undeserved) reputation as a basher. They'll label you as such because they'll want to classify "that guy who doesn't like their work" as a "bad guy", so they have an excuse to ignore your opinion.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 am

Yeah, it was mostly a joke, but still, they can ignore something like, well, anyone who's not me, because it's just a short paragraph that they can go "pfft, they're just a retard flamer", but mine they end up feeling compelled to read, even if their first thought is the always irritating "tl;dr", which really means "lazy jackass, right here".

Regards,

≈Roy42
    AngelxDeidrael

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post by AngelxDeidrael on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 am

eeemeee wrote:Y'know, Fanfiction.net isn't necessarily the best place to find good writing. Due to the nature of the place, there are going to be those young, rabid tween types who'll instantly accuse you of bashing or flaming if you don't like their work. Besides, they all think they're such amazing writers because they can take someone else's characters and story and write about it; one look in the forums, and you can see how knowledgeable they believe they are. They constant obsess over "this is a Mary Sue, that's a Mary Sue, OMG this is OCC, is this canon, is that canon...." It never ends. When you think about it, these people are probably, how old? All they're honestly doing is playing writer, like they played dress-up and house when they were five.

Quite frankly, the behavior of the general population annoys me to no end. It's almost worth not bothering, and simply posting fanfiction as a post over here instead of having to bother with them.

I know exactly what you mean.

I can't bring myself to write fan fiction for that reason. Not that I'm bashing fan fiction writers in general; I'd rather be known for writing something original than writing about someone else's characters and ideas.

Roy42 wrote:As many people on this forum might already know, when I give a review of a story, it's going to be long, scathing, but most of all, absolutely honest with no sugar coating at all, making them the greatest and most helpful reviews of all. I mean, I'm a critic about these stories, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I have the right to be a critic.

It seems that the author "Dana Welch" on Fanfiction.net doesn't understand the nature of reviews and critics, however. (From hereon out, I'm assuming it's a girl)

After I gave a review of her story "The Christmas Chaos", she decided to be a whiny little bitch about things and not only republish her story to get rid of my review, but also actually sent me a PM regarding the subject, in a nutshell it was the basic crap about "don't appreciate you bashing my story" blah blah blah Derpy, but saying that constructive criticism is fine.

Now, am I missing something (no, I'm not) or does saying what a person shouldn't do anymore in their writings not good enough to be defined as constructive criticism? While Dana doesn't appreciate the bashing that I didn't do, I don't appreciate when I release great works and they're covered in piles of flaming puke within a week. That doesn't mean that'll stop though, and neither shall I.

Lastly, there's the comment that she made that said something to the defect of "But I'll ignore it because I know I'm a great writer…" not only is that being too vain for her 3 bad stories to support her, but that's absolutely hypocritical, she says she doesn't care, but that holds about as much weight as when a person registers to a gaming forum for the company they hate and start bashing it, ending their tirade with the same phrase "I don't even care".

So I guess what I'm trying to convey is the question: Has the time come when people can upchuck on a typewriter, call it a great PaF story, put it online and not be able to handle themselves when they get their head slammed into the concrete and told the truth that needs to be told?

I greatly miss the days of the stories that I actually somewhat didn't hate, the ones that exceeded all expectations on my part by being not my writings, yet still slightly good, namely, "Engaging Nightmare", "Burning Love" and the other ones that knew that a chapter doesn't last for 100-200 words.

I saw the review you wrote, and look, I'm not siding with her (or trying to start drama) but a few things you said that weren't related to the story could have been left out. I've seen your other reviews, and they are very good, but this one... I'm sorry, I can't agree with you. There really wasn't a need to curse at and directly insult the author... silent
    eeemeee

Post by eeemeee on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 am

AngelxDeidrael wrote:I can't bring myself to write fan fiction for that reason. Not that I'm bashing fan fiction writers in general; I'd rather be known for writing something original than writing about someone else's characters and ideas.

I agree with you there on the "rather be known for something original" point. What I do, though, is I write fanfiction as practice for original writing. It's quite good for working on description and dialogue and stuff; just straight practice, without having to worry about making up characters or plots yourself.

AngelxDeidrael wrote: I saw the review you wrote, and look, I'm not siding with her (or trying to start drama) but a few things you said that weren't related to the story could have been left out. I've seen your other reviews, and they are very good, but this one... I'm sorry, I can't agree with you. There really wasn't a need to curse at and directly insult the author... silent

All I can say about this, I guess, is that some people in the world (such as good old Roy here) are just like that. If they don't like your work, they'll tell you, explicitly, straight up in your face, and tell you all the reasons why... which is really good, if you understand that it's nothing personal, because generally such reviews are waymore helpful than just "yeah it was good" reviews. Personally, I appreciate them.

The problem arises when the recipient of such a review doesn't realize this, and takes it personally. Really, they shouldn't, because they're just gonna have to get used to it, especially if they plan on being a professional writer. But sometimes they do, and then there's the problem.....

Yeah, definitely not taking sides here or getting involved or anything, just wanted to put that out there.
    AngelxDeidrael

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post by AngelxDeidrael on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:09 am

eeemeee wrote: I agree with you there on the "rather be known for something original" point. What I do, though, is I write fan fiction as practice for original writing. It's quite good for working on description and dialogue and stuff; just straight practice, without having to worry about making up characters or plots yourself.

Yeah, I agree. I used to write bits and pieces of "fics" when I was younger, but I never published them. They weren't always in character back then and that was one of the things I've always worried about. I guess it's sort of how drawing fan art can help someone become a better artist, too! Very Happy

All I can say about this, I guess, is that some people in the world (such as good old Roy here) are just like that. If they don't like your work, they'll tell you, explicitly, straight up in your face, and tell you all the reasons why... which is really good, if you understand that it's nothing personal, because generally such reviews are waymore helpful than just "yeah it was good" reviews. Personally, I appreciate them.

The problem arises when the recipient of such a review doesn't realize this, and takes it personally. Really, they shouldn't, because they're just gonna have to get used to it, especially if they plan on being a professional writer. But sometimes they do, and then there's the problem.....

Yeah, definitely not taking sides here or getting involved or anything, just wanted to put that out there.

I totally understand what you're saying, and I've seen Roy's other reviews and I agree - harsh critiques are the most helpful. I'm not saying that the girl was right in complaining to him, either. That's something she's going to have to learn to deal with.

I also feel that if people aren't ready for that kind of criticism, they shouldn't publish anything where the public could see.

However, that particular review... I can see why she was offended. If the review was still there, I would copy the particular line that I thought was uncalled for... but again, I'm not going to argue about this. I'm not trying to convince him that he's wrong, either. Just saying. ^^;;

BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:41 am

eeemeee wrote:Y'know, Fanfiction.net isn't necessarily the best place to find good writing. Due to the nature of the place, there are going to be those young, rabid tween types who'll instantly accuse you of bashing or flaming if you don't like their work. Besides, they all think they're such amazing writers because they can take someone else's characters and story and write about it; one look in the forums, and you can see how knowledgeable they believe they are. They constant obsess over "this is a Mary Sue, that's a Mary Sue, OMG this is OCC, is this canon, is that canon...." It never ends. When you think about it, these people are probably, how old? All they're honestly doing is playing writer, like they played dress-up and house when they were five.

Some people there are just utterly retarded as to either how well they think they are in terms of writing skills (when they are really not) or how they think that can write better than others. It just makes my blood boil!
    tiggertine

Post by tiggertine on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:17 am

Personally, I'd rather receive a Roy-riffic harsh critique on my work than being told that it was perfect which really doesn't help at all, but there's a fine line between critique and cyberbullying and sometimes it's hard to distinguish the two. Though if the author was really that bothered by Roy's review, they could have just ignored it, and if they're not up to getting that kind of review they shouldn't have posted their fic on the site in the first place.

I don't write fanfics because I don't have the attention span to write them. I can write short little passages, but I can't retain what small scrap of sanity I have while working on a long chapter thing, and eventually I just give up. Plus, it's more fun for me to be able to create my own characters and plots, rather than just working with what I'm given. Very Happy Though I do love reading fanfics.

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:55 pm

I first attempted at writing a proper novel style story, with proper formatting, punctuation, etc- on my old computer in 2004, and ever since until about early last year, incidentally just before i first saw PaF- i wrote stories, mostly using my own characters. I had also written a Daria fanfic at Outpost Daria or somesuch site... All my stories sucked, and heres why: The characters were unlikeable, didn't feel realistic emotion, were too logical, the plots were either retardedly weird or too boring, the settings were either too realistic or too unrealistic, the grammar was too dickensian due to most of my influence being from earlier works, and put it simply i'm not creative. I was never creative. I can come up with abstract loosely fitting character elements and make a pseudo character but they'll never be as likeable as a well rounded character created by someone such as Dan and Swampy. Which is why, as english and writing itself was my skill and not creativity or character development, i chose fanfiction over regular writing because the characters were already there. In regards to PaF the reason my fanfiction ran down to a trickle and my last entry 'Phineas and Ferb Meet Spongebob' was more of a satire on crackfic than an actual attempt... is because PaF have done so much and me not being creative usually coming up with basic ideas like 'time travel' which they've already done... I can never think of something for them to do. Besides, i usually just write what should probably be put as an extended episode idea in an episode ideas thread, because i was never good at going beyond a format without going retarded. Tiggertine's problem i also share. When reading or writing my memory often fails me dismally... which is another reason why i don't write any more. Besides, when one considers how most readers are idiots (let's face it, Hannah Montana won totally new years, most people these days aren't Arnold or Doug) i don't see why i should put the massive effort into the terribly weak output anyway. As to reviewing fanfic... even if my reviews could be as good and constructive as Roy's... to tell you the truh i just point out spelling mistakes and suggest taking more time usually... i find reading boring. I know... it isn't my fault, though. I was always bored by anything that wasn't tv... ever since i got a tv in 2002. And now that everything with a few exceptions on tv sucks... i'm even more bored and less given to reading or attempting anything remotely creative. As an example of why it's not just my PaF work that stinks...

http://www.outpost-daria.com/fanfic/lawndale_2500.html

It's only short and by reading it you'll see that, as i have as much difficulty writing a good work with other characters than PaF, it isn't just due to the fact PaF have done so much that i find it difficult to do a PaF fanfic. However, as always, if i ever do get a sudden idea (yeah right like that'll happen...) i will be sure to let you all know and post it.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 am

Well, good news, I suppose, thanks to a few people who were slightly threatened by the ultimatum in the "An Unspoken Bond" latest chapter, I won't be pulling all of my stories down from FanFiction.Net, however much I'd like to, it's the only place I can put them up easily, get traffic figures for them and get reviews.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:04 am

Roy42 wrote:it's the only place I can put them up easily, get traffic figures for them and get reviews.

Same with me. That's another reason why i do fanfic rather than regular fic... Theres a pre-built readership
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:04 am

Just a quick note, I'm 2 reviews short of releasing the next in the thrilling saga "Because It's Fun", I advise people to review Chapter 7 before eeemeee gets wind of this and pesters you even more. Doesn't bother me too much, I just keep working on my writing regardless.

Ah, hell, I know no one's going to review it, might as well go ahead, just remember 5 reviews for the next part.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:01 pm

I know you think i'm lazy... but your stories are really long and i don't bother reveiwing any fic longer than one or two chapters because reading bores me
    eeemeee

Post by eeemeee on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:45 am

Roy42 wrote:I advise people to review Chapter 7 before eeemeee gets wind of this and pesters you even more.

Too right, I would've. I mean, sheesh, c'mon people, it's not that hard to read and review!

Anyways, off to go read and review myself now. Yay!
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 am

eeemeee wrote:
    Roy42 wrote:I advise people to review Chapter 7 before eeemeee gets wind of this and pesters you even more.

Too right, I would've. I mean, sheesh, c'mon people, it's not that hard to read and review!

Anyways, off to go read and review myself now. Yay!

No, as Atomius mentioned, it is hard for all of the other people who don't review to have the sort of attention span required to succeed in a job that they will actually need.

Regards,

≈Roy42

BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Some of the stories by the author "Settled Debt" aren't very good. My favorite story is the latest one by Invisibool titled "The Reverse World". The author, Settled Debt, has one that seems to be copying it. In any case, his stories, especially the computer one, aren't very good, and not worth your time reading, in my opinion.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:46 pm

I can already tell they aren't good because the descriptions are bad and because of the outrageous pace at which he/she publishes new ones.

Regards,

≈Roy42

BigNeerav

Post by BigNeerav on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 pm

Roy42 wrote:I can already tell they aren't good because the descriptions are bad and because of the outrageous pace at which he/she publishes new ones.
    The latest ones "Master Computer" and the one published today are pretty bad. I would tell others to stay away from them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am