FanFiction

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

FanFiction

Post by Roy42 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:18 am

First topic message reminder :

This is the forum to discuss all PaF fanfiction in general. Here's some links to get going with.

Phineas and Ferb Fanfiction

Create a FanFiction.Net Account.

What are your favorite fanfictions?

Do you have any you want to share?

Is there a fanfiction so terrible it eats at you?

Discuss all those questions here.

Last edited by Roy42 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Regards,

≈Roy42

Achidanza

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2009-12-17

Re: FanFiction

Post by Achidanza on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:03 am

In another fandom I'm in, a particularly heart wrenching zombie fic is one of the most popular and adored. I know you must already realize this, but a handful of bad reviews and flames shouldn't stop you from telling a good story (despite how annoying said reviews may be). I'm sure there are at least a few PaF watchers who can appreciate a more serious story that contains character death/maiming.

Cafeteria food fights, eh? Lots of room for tasteful humor there!
    Crowfeather

Number of posts : 217
    Registration date : 2009-07-06

Post by Crowfeather on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 am

Hey, do what you want. Bad reviews never really got to me, but deleting some unknown user's hate reviews.... it's not against the law. Who will notice? I just want to read a Roy fic 'cause I've got nothing better to do and it will definantly keep me occupied.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 am

I never said I let bad reviews get to me; I don't really care for anyone's opinion when it's coming through on the internet, hence why Neerav's departure from this site had an extremely neutral impact on me. I don't have any problem with someone not liking a story; it's when someone hates on something without understanding what it was trying to do. If someone hates on the story because they didn't think it was Zombie Apocalypse done well, then fine. If they hate on the story because I made central characters die, then that's where I get annoyed, especially if/when those are the only reviews I'm getting for that story.

I have little patience for people who are well out of their depth of knowledge when they read my stories and feel like I have to listen to them bitch because I always give bad reviews for stories and so I have to accept any criticism; except it's not criticism. I give criticism and constructive criticism; people who hate on my stories are almost universally flamers, saying (subtract 50 points from the grammar to get their true message) "Well you're always giving bad reviews, let's see how you like it!" and if they're not flaming, then they most assuredly have let the intention of the story or chapter go over their head.

It's like what the latest chapter of "Because It's Fun" was about. I have people asking me what the hell is wrong with Roy, burning the guy's house down, etc. but that wasn't the point of the chapter, and had I been telling that story in third person, I'd have started at the next day, then at the end of the chapter, when someone asks what happened with 'the plan', I'd just say it as an afterthought, more than anything: "Oh, right; they blew up the guy's house. Forgot about that. Anyway, see ya tomorrow." Leaving the person who had asked the question sitting there with about another million questions and/or unable to form a sentence.

I suppose it's because it's fanfiction that people aren't expecting an incredible amount of depth, but look at The Illustrious Crackpot's PaF stories; Ten Black Roses' PaF fics, not to mention "A Fight to Live", in which Ferb is diagnosed with Leukaemia. What is it about my fics that goes over people's heads, as opposed to any of the other ones that have more than one dimension to the characters and plot?

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Achidanza

Post by Achidanza on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 am

Aww, I wasn't implying that you do let bad reviews get to you. I just meant that letting those particular types of reviews you mention stop you from writing and/or posting a fic is something that should be avoided at all costs.

I completely understand the problem you're facing. There's not really anything you can do, you can't force the general fanbase to understand your stories (i.e. gain some intelligence). From what I've seen PaF fans tend to be young and full of themselves, which is proven by the behavior you mentioned in your reviews.

If you don't like the useless reviews your stories attract due to the criticism you provide other authors, there's always the option of posting fanfiction under a different name. Sad that one would have to resort to that though.

While I don't think you should stop writing because of this issue, I can see why you would find posting fic online to be a moot point.

I'm really interested in reading your fics now. I've hunted around ff.net and couldn't find anything readable... Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but the quality and plots were so bad that I couldn't bear it. Even the ones with decent writing always have some flaw, like the plot being rushed or something to that effect.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:08 am

Well, assuming I survive this Summer, I'll put them up on my website shortly after it itself is up.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Achidanza

Post by Achidanza on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:07 am

I will be looking forward to that.

On another note, does anyone have PaF fanfiction recommendations?
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:16 am

Depends, which ones have you read? There are dozens of good ones out there.
    Achidanza

Post by Achidanza on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:23 am

Not many (which is why I'm asking for recommendations--I'm too lazy to find good ones on my own, apparently), and certainly none that would be recommended by anyone (they were terrible).

Are there any paf fics that are of the 'must read' variety? I'll read pretty much any pairing. Probably.
    ChatterBox

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

Post by ChatterBox on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:14 am

Eh, since I like the kinky romance (erotica is what I prefer, though), I like 'Turn it into Love'. It's a Mature (M) rated Romance fic about Perry and Doofenshmirtz. Pretty good, not too shabby in my opinion.

As for pairing suggestions, I'm kind of claiming Doofemy (DoofenshmirtzxJeremy), Candabella (CandacexIsabella), and Pherrias (PhineasxPerry) as my own but feel free to borrow them, just ask first! Wink I sort of want to keep the Major Monogram and Isabella to myself, though, and me only (awww, I feel so mean! Here, take it if you want!). I say you should try some Ferb and Isabella if yuo don't like too weird of stuff. If you're looking into yuri, I would like to see a Candace and Vanessa sometime. Yaoi, I have to to say I like the idea of Carl the Intern and Baljeet forbidden love (ooooh).

I'm working on a horror right now, so, I don't believe I'll want to give much info about that yet because I may want to use the idea later and then you'll have used it and then I won;t want to use it because it would take away your's uniqueness. Anyways, I love tragedy romances and 'hate sex' stuff (which I often find this type of stuff in my novels I like to read; I know it's bad Razz ). Personally, I love horror/romance novels next to anything erotica. Just because it's about as kick elbow as you can get.

I can't really help you with any suggestions (writer's block because I write, not publish), sorry! But sometime we might be able to think of something together! Very Happy

As for my FanFiction, can you think of any reason why Phineas and Ferb may not become the best of friends anymore (they're about in their mid 20's or so) and a character that could go along in the mix: Phineas, Ferb, Isabella? Or should I take anyone out? Help?
    Achidanza

Post by Achidanza on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 am

Oh! That's actually one of the ones I started to read. I haven't finished it yet because I didn't find the writing decent and the plot was moving too fast. However, I do have a huge soft spot for Perry/Doofenshmirtz so I'll probably end up finishing it anyway.

I meant pairing suggestions as far as which one we would do if we collaborated on something. But those certainly are some interesting ones. Candace/Vanessa I've already thought about and would love to write. Carl and Baljeet? Odd, I figured Carl would be more likely to be shipped with Major Monogram.

No worries, I've got no plans to write anything horror related.

I don't really need suggestions for stories, I have a few ideas already. I doubt I'll ever get around to writing them though.

I've never seen Phineas and Ferb ever come close to having an argument or any sort of angry feelings towards each other in the series, so it's a bit difficult to think of a reason why they would be prone to dislike each other even a small amount. They both seem like really logical creatures, which would make the possibility of something small disturbing the balance between them low. That could be just because I haven't seen every episode yet though. I bet a scenario like the one you suggested is possible but it would be hard to pull of realistically, I imagine. (And oooh, is that going to turn into a Ferb/Phineas/Isabella story?)
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:12 am

I should point out that "Impact," one of the first fanfics posted for PaF, back in 08, already did Vanessa/Candace and anything else that tries the pairing is not going to stack up.

As for other pairings that are very hot, despite every fanfic for them being crap and only being done by authors that have little to no talent, but you should get in on the craze before I swoop down and set the bar so high only a Na'vi could reach it:

Phineas/Ferb
    Phineas/Ferb/Isabella
    Buford/Baljeet
    Fireside Girl/Fireside Girl (Or, really, interchangeable girl, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona/interchangeable girl, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona)
    Perry/Doofenshmirtz

and ones that aren't popular, but as I said, you should really throw one out before I take the chance to have a good feeling about it away:

Django/Phineas
    Django/Ferb
    Django/Interchangeable girl, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona
    Isabella/Interchangeable girl, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona
    Ferb/Interchangeable girl/boy, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona
    Baljeet Interchangeable domineering girl/boy, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona

On top of all those, the ones with only two people can include another interchangeable girl/boy with absolutely any personality, who can even be an author insertion fantasy persona.

Plus, in just general fanfic writing for the section, as opposed to pairings-galore, I've only seen one fic in the entire section be-hmmapsdjfiopwagiuhsuidfphop

Oh, fine then.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    tiggertine

Number of posts : 456
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Post by tiggertine on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:45 am

...my goodness ChatterBox, you're starting to scare me with your pairing ideas. xD And that's quite an accomplishment.

I'm still waiting to see a DoofxPlanty fic, though.
    Achidanza

Post by Achidanza on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:36 am

@Roy
    Oooh boy, please tell me that was sarcasm. There were so many tense issues in "Impact" that I could hardly allow myself to continue reading. Not only that but the purple prose destroyed a potentially delicious pairing.

Thanks for listing the popular pairings though. It's a little depressing that there is so much self-insert fanfiction in this fandom. If I wanted to read bad self-insert fiction I would read Twilight.

I don't think that bad writers should stop writing, or that decent writers should stop writing because the bar has already been set at an impossible level. However, the lack great fanfiction is disappointing regardless.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Well, who cares what you think(probably a lot of people, but I have to be cool by not caring); those who just want to pair the stupidest of characters together without giving any real thought to anything they type out with the utmost carelessness and then bitch about how I'm taking it all to seriously or whatever do need to stop writing and just eff off back to YouTube, Xbox LIVE, Social Networking Sites and let those that actually could improve write in an environment where people might actually be able to read their works without having to deduce at a glance what seems good and what doesn't, thereby usually dismissing it, and when they do read their works, be able to give honest reviews that are actually thought out — to some extent, anyway — and give the people who have written the stories actual feedback that they can use to further their development of their writing skills.

But, since that's not likely to happen, at least have some kind of distinction on FF.net between amateur writers and ones that know the difference between 'their' and 'they're,' or 'its' and 'it's,' or 'we're,' 'were,' 'where' and 'wear,' or who know what the semicolon and em dash are, and how to actually use them in writing.

You know, a "Most People" section, and a "Roy's Stories Only" section. [/smug]

Seriously though; take away every story that had an author insertion fantasy persona move to Danville — it would be worthwhile to note that they only spread like wildfire after I first published "Because It's Fun" and established to them that it was a license to write about them falling in love with Ferb or Phineas, release the sexual tension that they were having as they entered the strange time of puberty by writing about nonexistent guys that they felt understood them, get hundreds of undeserved hits and act like they were being oh-so-original, witness my power of influence — every story that clearly violates the TOS of FanFiction.Net (Ask the Cast fics, "Vote For…" fics, author notes, etc.), every story that has nothing to do with the show because it was likely written by a bot, and if you want a constant example, read AnnLay's stories, which seem to have fairly similar content in a lot of them, despite being all about different settings, all the fics that are about Phineas and Ferb discovering who their paternal and maternal parents, respectively, were(and they all have the same title of "Phineas and Ferb Movie," too) and all the oneshots that…well, just about all the oneshots, period…maybe excluding about 10 or so, you'd be left with probably just over 100 fics, but they would all be of actually half-decent quality and up, and be easily identifiable as something that you enjoy reading and would read more than once, because you simply enjoy reading it.

So, where was I going with this post? Dammed if I know; I guess you could interpret it as me giving a list of what not to read when you look at the section, but other than that, I don't see what sort of point I might have been reaching for. So now I'll abandon trying to get to a point and just go on about things relating to fanfiction.

Maybe I'll put together a proper list of "Just because I'm saying it really is all the proof you need that these fics are AWESOME and must be read as soon as you finish reading this list" when I have my website going, but at the moment, I'll at least say "Down and Out" is an incredibly worthwhile and realised, to the furthest extent that Phineas and Ferb can be, M rated fic. Should be a few pages back in the category.

Oh yeah; "I'd Do Anything" and "Remember The Time" by livingstatue. They're not actually PaF fanfics, but I've betaread them and given them my official seal of…whatever it would be called. Search for livingstatue in the authors section and you'll find the fics.

Also, "Engaging Nightmare," by angelic'O'wings(leftwing92 on this forum, here) is a story I've betaread and assure no regrets from reading it. It is a PaF story, just so you don't accidentally go wandering through the archives.

Plus, there's the fact that every single fanfic and/or screenplay I've written is a must-read, but I guess that's just being cruel to you, isn't it? Nyeh, I can live with it.

Still considering printing my fics, or at least "Times Change" onto hard copy, as well…

Regards,

≈Roy42
    ChatterBox

Number of posts : 327
    Registration date : 2009-08-02

Post by ChatterBox on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:19 pm

*sniffle* I do senseless pairings and publish some stuff about them on FF.net. Hopefully I don't go into the "awful fics; don't read" catergoy, though I likely will with my writing "skills". But assuming I'm not like, "OMG, this is soooo canon and they were TOTALLY meant for each other!!!11!1", perhaps I might be able to escape the clutches of the top thirty on the list of bad fics/authors.

Now, when it comes to reviews on stories I personally didn't like, I generally will go to read other people's reviews to see if they already hammered the story before I did (of course FAR from what Roy does to stories, so I guess I can't really call it hammered, now can I?). I am typically greeted with, "OMG, this is so good! I <3 the plot; its (typo was meant to be there) soooo original! Update soon!" Though my opinion is quite the opposite. I do find it irritating...

I think I do agree with you on the most part with this; I just think you're a more passionate about it than me. I do get annoyed with all of the "new girl/boy comes to Danville and falls in love with a boy/girl" plots because there are just so many of them.

Also, the random insertion of a dozen new fictional characters tick me off. Though, I am using one character I already "created" for my horror one but it's not like I can just turn a character into a serial killer and have me be satisfied/have the character retain his/her personality and have a decent plot line/be somewhat realistic. Hopefully this won't tick a certain someone off when I publish the first chapter or so of it.

And, Roy, I have read at least the first two chapters of 'most every fic you've written and have had no regrets! Very Happy Too bad I didn't get to go much further Sad
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:39 pm

I am compelled to point out, ChatterBox, that a serial killer is someone who has committed three or more murders; unless Mary Bell offed someone else before she started having periods or whatever, that's not a serial killer fact, and in any case, it's hardly appropriate.

Well how can you tell how good a story is by anyone else's but my reviews? A bunch of people who write in one sentence or sentence fragment that they liked it, while maybe one or two people have said that it's not a good story is nothing close to either hammering the story — not just in comparison to what I do, but just at all — or even giving any sort of indication to whether you should read it or not; whether it's good.

Yes, your fics do fall under the category of "I guess you should read this, if you're brain damaged enough to enjoy that sort of thing over the much, much better options," but of course you're not on the top 30 bad writers/fics or whatever; none of those 'writers' even write in the PaF section.

I know you're only 14, but I'm pretty sure you can identify that there's a difference between throwing in a dozen OCs that have little to no explanation in the actual story, or a two sentence profile on the actual author's page, rather than in the fic, and putting in one character that would likely have at least some thought put into it, even if it's for a theme and type of story that only proves even more that you're incredibly immature.

Also, don't flatter yourself; just because you are on this forum does not mean I'll be reviewing whatever you write, and I'm really bored with having to reexplain that to the EXACT SAME PEOPLE over and over. I have as little patience for someone who expects me to review something they've written because of a fallacy argument as I do for people who ask me to betaread the first fic they've written just because they would like a spellchecker, or someone asking to read and review their oneshot and/or crossover fic because they think I'm a bear that they can get to react by poking at.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Ferbelle

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2009-09-04

Post by Ferbelle on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:47 pm

I have way too many things to do I have no time for fanfic writing, I have started and not finnished 4 stoires so far! Uhh, I'm so annoyed!
    KLCI

Registration date : 2009-11-14

Post by KLCI on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Hopefully I don't sound too much like a hypocrite by saying this because my fanfic on FF.net has so many problems, but I generally agree with what Roy is saying. The quality of fan fiction in general (especially on FF.net) is really not good.

Of course there are a few good fics here and there, but they seem to be greatly outnumbered by the type of fics that Roy mentioned above (character pairings that make no sense, poorly thought out OCs, fics that are only 500ish words per chapter, et cetera).

I actually started writing my fanfic in the hopes that I could at least add a semi-decent fanfic to the P&F fandom. Unfortunately, I wrote far too carelessly and my numerous mistakes made my fic part of the problem. I am trying my best to remedy that problem by avoiding the many screw ups I made while I was writing the first two chapters of the story. At least, avoiding them to the best of my ability.
    leftwing92

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-12-13

Post by leftwing92 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:48 am

Oh goody-gumdrops!(sarcasm) It looks like you guys have gotten onto the topic of....-shudders- OC's!

I'll admit it. I've created OC's, yeah. However, I didn't take a cute, little animated version of me and stick it into a poorly typed work that has no plot whatsoever. Sorry, MimiKateInuyasha96....I don't find it adorable that you married Ferb in your 200 word story. Please take it down. Mad

The only way I feel it possible to get away with OC's is giving the characters a background and a graphic reason to put them in the story.

I'm planning to write some NON-OC stories for P&F soon...hmmm. Hopefully.

I have to agree with everything I see written above: story lengths, vocabulary, choice of wording, and all that jazz. In my honest opinion, it would be great if the moderators on ff.net (wait...are ther moderators on ff???) actually filtered some of those stories...I mean, what's the point of a thirty word fanfiction? Yes! I've seen some fanfictions with, god forbid, only a handfull of words! That's not a story; it's a f---ing sentence!

Okay, done.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:36 am

My lack of faith in the moderators is when these two things happen.

1) People publish stories that violate the terms of use that you have to agree to every time you publish a new story. Here is the direct copy/paste from the guidelines for what is not allowed:

Entries not allowed:
    Non-stories: lists, bloopers, polls, previews, challenges, author notes, and etc.
    One or two liners.
    MST: comments inserted in between the flow of a copied story.
    Stories with non-historical and non-fictional characters: actors, musicians, and etc.
    Any form of interactive entry: choose your adventure, second person/you based, Q&As, and etc.
    Chat/script format and keyboard dialogue based entries.

*Not only are these entries constantly being uploaded to all the sections, there is at least one user in this forum that has uploaded one of the disallowed entries to the PaF section. Of course, that's not saying that plenty of 'authors' that aren't on this forum have uploaded those types of fics to the PaF section.*

Actions not allowed:
    Multiple entries of the same material. There can only be one copy of any unique story on the entire site. No exceptions.
    Rewriting names of characters/locations of one story in order to upload to multiple categories.
    Copying from a previously published work (including musical lyrics) not in the public domain.

General rules:
    Entry title and summary must be rated G for all audience. No exceptions.
    Entry must be given the proper rating. No exceptions.
    Entry must be placed in proper category. No exceptions.
    Chapters of the same story are not allowed to be submitted as separate entries. All chapters/segments must be grouped together using the 'edit/upload chapter' feature in the left menu.

*The actions and general rules are also constantly being violated by users on the site*

2) When users don't abide by the netiquette, which is…

Spell check all story and poetry. There is no excuse for not performing this duty. If you do not have a word processor that has the spell checking feature, use a search engine such as Google.com to find one.
    Proofread all entries for grammar and other aspects of writing before submission. 'Hot off the press' content is often riddled with errors. No one is perfect but it is the duty of the writer to perform to the best of his/her ability.
    Respect the reviewers. Not all reviews will strictly praise the work. If someone rightfully criticizes a portion of the writing, take it as a compliment that the reviewer has opted to spend his/her valuable time to help improve your writing.
    Everyone here is an aspiring writer. Respect your fellow members and lend a helping a hand when they need it. Like many things, the path to becoming a better writer is often a two way street.
    Use proper textual formatting. For example: using only capital letters in the story title, summary, or content is not only incorrect but also a disregard for the language itself.

Now, before anyone tries to point out that I supposedly don't abide by the fourth rule on that list, just remember to jam forks into your eyes and jump off of a cliff before posting your fallacy.

Now, why should I, or really anyone, trust a site that has about 15 rules to keep the users and content at a certain standard, however has no moderators around to actually uphold that standard?

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:56 pm

For the seven or eight of you that read my fanfictions, you may be interested in my latest blog post.

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:44 am

Re-posted "Times Change", now on my site: http://frozentreasure.com/notgames/writing/fanfiction/timeschange.html

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Crowfeather

Post by Crowfeather on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 am

Ah, yes. I saw your site saying you were gonna put that up. I believe I read that... Maybe not all of it... I gotta check.
    Phinebellafan

Number of posts : 15
    Registration date : 2009-06-29

Post by Phinebellafan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:48 am

Hey guy's I'm new to writing fan fiction, so pardon my horribleness. Any who, this idea just hit me today. While the idea is a little over used at times, its used a little better.

Title: Breakdown!

Summary: Phineas has finally done, made the best invention ever. However, to Candace its been taken too far. She finally got a date with Jeremy, but the invention made the lights and electricty go out, interupting there date making Candace furious this time, yelling at Phineas so loud that the entire city can hear. This causes Phineas to run away, but while out on the run, some branch of a tree falls and hits Phineas, causing him to loose his memory. While on the run, every one back at home is searching for Phineas including Candace who feels really guilty about what she said to him. Mean-While, memory lost Phineas comes across Dr.Doofenshmirtz lab, once Memory lost Phineas fixes one of his inventions, he realizes having him on his side could help him in the end. Perry the Platypus finds out where Phineas has been this entire time and trys to help him get home, when he finds out Phineas doesn't have his memory, things could be a lot harder than he thought, not to mention hey'll have to fight off Dr.Doofensmirtz for him.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:17 pm

…What was the part where it's used a little better?

Regards,

≈Roy42
    Roy42
    Administrator

Post by Roy42 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:33 pm

For those of you who still check FanFiction.Net, I've reposted "Times Change" up there. If you plan on following my writing updates, I would advise checking in on my website, http://frozentreasure.com though, since they'll come up a month sooner than FF.Net.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:39 pm