Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:59 am by Roy42

Live Action

Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Live Action

Post by Roy42 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 am

The symptoms of a bad live action show are visible from far away. Bad actors, made worse by bad writing, cheap laughs, terrible sets, canned laughter, many things like this send a live action show down the tubes. But sometimes they get it right, and the network has laid a proverbial golden egg that everyone clamours for more and more of.

Discuss the highs and lows of live action shows.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Re: Live Action

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 am

On Live Action in general as a medium-

IMO animation > live action >reality. Remembering this opinion will save you all and me time when i discuss my opinions of shows. I naturally rank a live action show below a cartoon even if it is Seinfeld or another pure golden gem, because animation as a format is simply superior. That is why i classify all shows under two categories, Live Action and Animation, and a third category- Special (i.e Angela Anaconda, 3D animated shows with realistic styles, Flatmania etc) My favorite LA shows i can think of are Round The Twist, Seinfeld, Fawlty Towers, Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em, the old Dr Who and Get Smart!

On Round the Twist as onesuch example and my opinions thereof-

Well to kick of discussion... let me suggest a show which any Australian kids of the 90s, and many foreign ones, especially in Britain, would know and remember fondly. Round The Twist. I first saw it in school before i was homeschooled when they'd show it on rainy days. This would have been between 96 and 99 and thus they showed the original 89 and 93 episodes rather than the remake (inferior imo) made in 99 and 01. The show epitomizes the heights live action can reach imo.
    Roy42
    Administrator

Number of posts : 1351
    Registration date : 2009-03-01

Post by Roy42 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks for mentioning what the show is actually about, well they're TV versions of a lot of Paul Jennings' stories, which come across really well.

It's about (I haven't seen it for over 10 years, just to clarify if my description isn't that great) 3 kids living in a lighthouse, where the strangest of things happen, both near the lighthouse, and in the town in general, like, a hairstyle and shampoo that enables mind reading, or a shadow stalking you.

I do agree, it's a great show and, well, great.

Regards,

≈Roy42

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 am

Yeah. Each series has it's own plot arc. Most fans, including myself, prefer the first two series to the remake because

A Paul Jennings stopped working for the show in the remake
    B We saw the show at school or as kids
    C TV in 89-93 beats tv in 99-01

I think it's the summit of Australian tv. Skippy i hear is good, and i saw one episode at the Powerhouse Museum, which was good, but i haven't seen any others although my mother used to watch it when she lived in England. But of all Australian tv i've seen, RTT beats all. Of course we don't have the budget the Americans do but still... It's a pity most people prefer watching So You Think You Can Dance or The Biggest Loser to Hey Arnold! or Doug or something normal...

BTW i see there isn't a category for animation... are we to discuss that in another category or in comedy (since many cartoons are comedies)? Because i want to make a point concerning Total Drama Island...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 am